This blog is devoted to my adventures abroad at University College Cork, Ireland. I was the George J. Mitchell Peace Scholar for the Fall of 2007. Please feel free to explore this page and the links provided. You can reach me at the contact info listed below. Slainte!

9.17.2007

Picture Post 3 -- Around the City

Since I have arrived the weather has been amazingly beautiful. We have only had rain once and it was light rain for just a few hours. These pictures are from my first few trips around town. I am trying to learn to navigate as streets are rarely marked. It seems as if, in Cork City, one must rely on landmarks to make their way around so I am learning by trial and error where things are!


As usual, picture captions are underneath the image. Enjoy!

I'm on the 4th floor of my apartment complex...
Here is an outside view of my building...
These are hung on poles all around the river just in case someone falls in and needs to be rescued. They are rather silly looking but I suppose it's always a good idea to be prepared!
My cab driver told me that this is going to be one of the tallest buildings in Ireland.
This is a random stone wall of Brooks Pharmacy. This sort of stonework is everywhere in Cork.


Here is a view of town from a window in my building. This is a shot of the beautiful blue sky and the tower of Holy Trinity Church.

This is a shot of "Father Mathew Quay" on the south channel of the River Lee. The river runs through Cork in 2 channels, the south and the north. It is sort of a guiding point for navigating.

The quays on both sides of the south channel of the River Lee.
As you can see, it was a beautiful day with spotty clouds and sunshine! The river is very calm and mirror-like most of the time.

These stone walls are all over Cork. As you can see, they are very tall and I have found that when you're going down a street that is "walled in" like this it makes navigating a little more difficult because you can't see what is around you at all! But they are pretty... This is St. Fin Barre's Cathedral.
Another shot, over the hedge that surrounds St. Fin Barre's...
Last but not least, here is a picture of the amazing angel statue on one of the roof peaks.
As always, more pictures are on there way, so keep reading!









No comments: